This position is a competitive class Civil Service position that may be filled on a provisional basis pending the outcome of the Civil Service examination.
Anyone who is interested in applying for this job should submit a resume AND application to the Department of Human Resources, City Hall, Room 301, Albany, NY 12207 to be received in the office no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday, November 16, 2015.
Experience in utility GIS mapping and surveying, including an Engineering background, programming and scripting experience, with a GISP certification.
The work involves responsibility for the creation and maintenance of the Geographic Information System (GIS) and applications such as computer mapping, database development, programming, and support systems for use on the central GIS database. The incumbent also performs a variety of office and field assignments in connection with municipal planning. The work is performed under the general supervision of the department head or his/her designee.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Participates in and provides project leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of Geographic Information Systems for use by City departments;
- Receives and responds to requests for GIS support by providing technical assistance to users and helping in defining the practical aspects of GIS applications;
- Participates in developing GIS applications for system users by performing research into trends in the field, and by assisting in the technical aspects of program development;
- Reviews existing systems and makes recommendations for revising programming language to enable integration with the central Geographic Information System database;
- Meets with municipal officials to review their existing systems with a view towards integrating them with the City’s central GIS;
- Participates in GIS planning studies and prepares reports and correspondence including statistical analyses, maps, graphs, tables, etc., for oral and/or written presentation;
- Uses computer applications or other automated systems such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments;
- Attends conferences, meetings and seminars as assigned;
- Enters and retrieves information in an automated information system;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the general principles and techniques of Geographic Information Systems as applicable to County, municipal and regional government;
- Good knowledge of ESRI GIS software (ARC/INFO, ArcView, ArcGIS and related database applications such Dbase and Cad), as well as current Windows, Windows NT, Unix operating systems and Internet programming languages as related to governmental GIS applications;
- Good knowledge of automated mapping standards and systems;
- Good knowledge of the purposes, principles, terminology and techniques employed in municipal planning;
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of drafting and graphics as applied to planning assignments;
- Working knowledge of acceptable methods of data collection, analysis, and interpretation;
- Ability to prepare and analyze data in a wide variety of digital formats;
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Master’s Degree in Urban, Natural Resource or Environmental Planning, Geography, Geographic Information Systems or Management Information Systems or related field and two (2) years full-time paid experience in where a major function of the position was developing and maintaining large scale GIS programs in a large governmental agency or private enterprise; OR
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Associates Degree in Urban, Natural Resource or Environmental Planning, Geography, Geographic Information Systems or Management Information Systems or related field or related field and four (4) years full-time paid experience in where a major function of the position was developing and maintaining large scale GIS programs in a large governmental agency or private enterprise; OR
C. An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined in (A) and (B) above.
A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
Every person initially employed by the City of Albany, shall, as a qualification of employment, be or become a resident of the City of Albany within 180 days of the date of initial appointment for said City. Furthermore, employees hired after the effective date of this section shall continue to be a resident of the City of Albany throughout their employment with the City, and the failure to move into the City, shall be deemed a voluntary resignation. The City may require annual proof of residency from affected employees.
The City of Albany is an an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer