Schenectady, NY – The City is seeking to hire to fill an entry level planning position. Work will involve performing office and field assignments in connection with municipal, regional or community planning projects.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Develops and maintains records and reports as necessary for compliance with historical, environmental and flood plain regulations and programs;
- Provides staff assistance to the Historic District Commission and as needed, to the Zoning Board of Appeals or the Planning Commission;
- Tabulates statistical data for use in population, housing, community development and land use reports as assigned;
- Prepares required forms, notices, reports and correspondence relating to work assignments and maintains records and files accordingly;
- Collects data for specific studies such as environmental, economic development and other planning projects. This involves research, correspondence with outside agencies; etc.
- Works on community development programs or other programs dealing with planning, housing and community development;
- Works in cooperation with other departments on matters of mutual interest;
- Performs a variety of related duties as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Working knowledge of the principles and terminology employed in municipal planning; working knowledge of data collection, tabulation and analysis; working knowledge of research methods; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with public officials, contractors and the general public; ability to understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions; must have a valid New York State Driver’s License; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (A) Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Civil Engineering; Urban Geography, Government, Public Administration, Economics, Landscape Architecture, or a related field; OR
(B) Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered two year college with an Associate’s degree in Planning, Civil Engineering, Urban Geography, Government, Public Administration, Economics, Landscape Architecture, or a related field; and two years of in municipal, community or regional planning, or a related area; OR
(C) An equivalent combination of experience and training as outlined in the limits of (A) and (B) above.
Interested parties should submit completed City of Schenectady Applications or resumes to:
Personnel & Benefits Administrator
City Hall, Room 105
Schenectady NY 12305
Resumes can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed applications/resumes need to be received in the Personnel & Benefits Administrator’s Office (City Hall, Room 105) by 4:00 PM on August 10, 2015.
Applications not received in the proper office by the specified time limit WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.