The New York Bicycling Coalition (NYBC), a twenty-five year old non-profit organization based in Albany, New York, is seeking a full-time Executive Director.
The non-profit is seeking a highly energetic, motivated and innovative individual with a proven commitment to cycling and NYBC’s mission to create an improved, safer environment for bicycling throughout New York State. The successful candidate will lead the organization’s statewide efforts promoting safe biking and walking, and will represent the need for safe bicycling for both transportation and recreation to elected officials at the state and national level, state agencies, private interests and the public.
Since 1990, New York Bicycling Coalition (NYBC) has served the State of New York and its residents by providing a clear and consistent voice for the interests of people who ride bikes and by promoting the safe use of the bicycle for transportation, recreation, health, and tourism.
The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated leadership and experience in the areas of legislative and policy advocacy, program management and grant writing, fundraising, and membership development. The ideal candidate will have the ability to establish positive relationships with the bicycling community across the state, including bicycle clubs, advocacy organizations, retailers, tourism promotion agencies and individual cyclists, to increase member recruitment opportunities and improve engagement with current members to maximize their retention.
The Executive Director will work closely with NYBC Board Members and volunteers. This is a telecommuting position that requires frequent travel to Albany and throughout the state.
- Administration of federal Highway Safety grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to develop and implement programs to reduce bicyclist fatalities and injuries in New York State
- Serve as statewide bicycle safety representative for Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee
- Plan and execute advocacy campaigns at the state and federal level to advance pro- bicycling legislation, policy and funding
- Build multi-sector partnerships to promote bicycle tourism and improve rail transportation options for bicycle tourists in New York State
- Oversee all aspects of non-profit organizational administration, including daily operations, financial management, grant reporting, communications, fundraising and membership development
The ideal candidate will have:
- College degree or equivalent relevant work experience. Professional experience in the non-profit sector preferred.
- Passion for bicycling and a strong commitment to the NYBC mission is a must.
- Strong understanding of bicycling, pedestrian and transportation issues. This includes the ability to manage advocacy campaigns and plan projects.
- Ability to plan and budget, evaluate operations and programs, and control spending. E/D must also be able to manage outside consultants as well as full and part-time paid staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with a wide range of public and private interests
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Experience and comfort working with computer technology and web-based programs
- (Microsoft Office; Quickbooks; WordPress; CRM; Voter Voice; Facebook, Twitter).
- Flexibility to pitch in wherever needed in a small organization.
Pay and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance stipend, plus paid vacation and holidays.
- Start date – April/May 2015
Please submit the following to Paul Winkeller, NYBC Board President, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A resume and cover letter explaining your interest in NYBC and why you are a great candidate for this position (please include references)
- Two writing samples for which you were the sole author (approximately 500-1000 words- links are acceptable)